To view a North Country Catholic Article about the Diocesan Youth Council Click HERE
The Diocese of Ogdensburg Diocesan Youth Council (DYC) is a group comprised of members in grades 10-12 who live in the Diocese of Ogdensburg. Each member serves on DYC for a one-year term (members are able to re-apply annually to serve for up to three total terms).
The purpose of Diocesan Youth Council is twofold:
1. Members will grow in spiritual development and leadership skills so they may take a more active role in their local parishes, particularly in youth ministry efforts on the local level.
2. Members will help plan and facilitate diocesan-sponsored events (youth rally, Lenten retreat days) and help promote diocesan-sponsored events (youth rallies, Camp Guggenheim, March for Life, regional events, Catholic Heart Work Camp, etc.)
Diocesan Youth Council is an opportunity to grow in leadership, build friendships, and have fun. It is also a significant responsibility, requiring maturity and commitment. Applying to DYC should be taken seriously and with prayerful consideration.
Members must be in grades 10-12.
Members must demonstrate active involvement in the Church at the parish level.
Members must demonstrate leadership skills, integrity, motivation, and a love for the Lord.
Members must attend:
- Training Retreat (August 30 at 4:00 PM- August 31 at 2:00 PM)
- One Lenten Retreat Day (March 10 or March 11)
- Youth Rally (April in Canton)
- A minimum of 6 other meetings: September in Malone, October in Tupper Lake, November via video conference, December via video conference; January via video conference; February via video conference; March via video conference; April via video conference; May retreat day (specific dates will be determined by a DYC vote prior to the meeting).
While there may legitimate reasons to miss DYC events, it is essential that members be committed to participating in the outlined activities and discuss any conflicts (barring serious emergencies) with the Director of Youth Ministry at least one week prior to the event. Failure to attend the required events/meetings without adequate notification may result in dismissal from DYC.